Picture this. You find yourself face to face with a total cutie, who you know is also vegan or vegetarian. You’re thinking this person might just be your first speed dating match. If you play your cards right. So how do you begin a conversation?
According to veg love guru Tess Challis, the best questions to ask while you’re speed dating are open ended, light and fun, yet reveal something helpful about your date. Avoid cliché questions (unless, of course, they’re truly important to you — deal-breaker stuff). For example, don’t ask: “What’s your favorite color?” (Probably not a deal breaker.) Instead, ask questions that tell you something about the way your date thinks, their lifestyle, and how compatible you two might be. Take a look at the questions below, and you’ll see what we mean.
Here’s our top ten list of conversation starting questions, to help you learn how to speed date:
- 1. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- 2. What’s your favorite time of year and why?
- 3. What veg*n food would you make if your friends were coming over for dinner?
- 4. If you were a wild animal, who would you be?
- 5. What possession is most important to you and why?
- 6. Where would you live, if it could be anywhere?
- 7. What‘s your favorite thing to do on a Sunday morning?
- 8. What book did you read last?
- 9. If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be?
- 10. What‘s something you love about your best friend?
Questions aren’t everything, of course. It’s very important to be a good listener to your date‘s answers! It’s also a great idea to ask follow-up questions that show you are genuinely interested in them as a person. Once you’ve found something out about your date, go with the flow. If someone mentions that they volunteer for an animal rescue organisation, ask them about that. Aim for a natural conversation, once it’s gotten started. You’ll learn how to speed date in no time!